Recipe: honey rice crisps
Use a mild-flavoured honey, such as blue borage, in this toasted sesame version of the classic treat.
Words: Anna Tait-Jamieson
Image: Stephen Laplant
¼ cup sesame seeds
5 cups puffed rice (rice bubbles)
2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup sugar
1. Gently toast sesame seeds in a heavy-based pan until they start to darken. Combine with rice in a large mixing bowl.
2. Heat butter, honey and sugar for a few minutes, stirring until well combined and golden brown. Pour hot syrup onto puffed rice/seeds and mix together. Press firmly with dampened fingers into a buttered tray. Cut into squares before it sets.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Are the environmentally-friendly farming methods at Mangarara Station the future of New Zealand agriculture?
- Make your own beeswax food wraps
- Divine conversion of a stone church into holiday home costs twice the budget
- 13 things to know about growing & eating rhubarb
- Are hedgehogs are pest in New Zealand?