Recipe: Red leicester cheese and pesto tarts
This is a take on a Jo Seagar recipe and a favourite with the Whalley family for Christmas pre-dinner nibbles. They use a 12-muffin tin but you could also make them mini-muffin size.
2 sheets flaky puff pastry
½ cup pesto
1 cup grated red leicester cheese
1 cup cream
Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut out discs of pastry to line muffin tins. Place 1 teaspoon of pesto in each pastry case and top with the grated cheese. In a bowl beat the eggs and add the cream.
Mix together and season with salt and pepper. Pour into the pastry cases and bake for 20 to 25 minutes in pre-heated oven until puffed and golden. The tarts will deflate as they cool. Serve warm from the oven, or the tarts can be reheated. Makes 12
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Are the environmentally-friendly farming methods at Mangarara Station the future of New Zealand agriculture?
- Make your own beeswax food wraps
- Divine conversion of a stone church into holiday home costs twice the budget
- 13 things to know about growing & eating rhubarb
- Are hedgehogs are pest in New Zealand?