Recipe: Maureen-Ann Farrimond’s Pineapple Fruitcake
Maureen-Ann Farrimond’s Pineapple Fruit Cake is a family favourite.
RECIPE: PINEAPPLE FRUITCAKE
1 cup sugar
450g can crushed pineapple
500g mixed fruit
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice
125 unsalted butter
2 cup plain flour
1 tsp of baking powder
2 eggs (beaten)
Place sugar, contents of can of pineapple, mixed fruit, bicarbonate of soda, spice and butter in saucepan. Bring to boil, boil 3 minutes, remove from heat, cool completely (very important).
Sift flour and baking powder together, mix into cold fruit mixture with well-beaten eggs. Place mixture in a greased and lined 8-inch cake tin.
Bake in a moderate oven (180C) approx. 1 1/2 hours*, reduce heat to moderately slow, bake further 20 to 30 minutes or until a skewer, inserted, comes out clean.
* Most times, cake is cooked after 1 1/2 hours but it pays to test the cake.
- How a small Waikato farm harnesses the power of Paulownia, the fastest-growing tree in the world
- A tried and tested Blackboy peach bottling recipe
- Classic baking: Yoyo recipe
- Set designer Megan Vertelle’s upcycled Piha villa is an off-screen showstopper
- New Zealand-designed raincoats receive torrents of praise