Recipe: Little & Friday’s Caramel Slice
Everything from the hazelnut-studded caramel to the dark chocolate ganache is pure decadence.
Extract from Treats from Little & Friday by Kim Evans
Makes approx. 24 slices
175g unsalted butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence or paste
½ cup Dutch cocoa
1½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
2 × 395g tins sweetened condensed milk
200ml golden syrup
100g unsalted butter
1 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
¾ cup Chocolate Ganache (see below)
1. Preheat oven to 150ºC. Grease a 25cm square tin and line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, icing sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until well combined. Sift cocoa, flour and salt together then mix thoroughly into the butter mixture.
3. Press mixture firmly into base of prepared tin. Bake for 10–15 minutes in centre of oven.
4. While base is cooking, prepare Caramel. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and melt slowly over a low heat. Pour over cooked base.
5. Return to oven for a further 15 minutes or until set.
6. When cool, spread a thin layer of hot Chocolate Ganache over Caramel. When Ganache has set, slice using a very sharp knife dipped in boiling water.
Makes: 1 cup
200g good-quality dark chocolate (we use 50 per cent cocoa)
½ cup cream
1. Gently melt chocolate and cream in a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir constantly to form a smooth sauce.
2. Allow to cool and thicken. Store in a cool place for up to 2 weeks.
Extracted from Treats from Little & Friday by Kim Evans, published by Penguin NZ, RRP $40.00. Copyright © Kim Evans 2012. Photography © Rene Vaile 2012