What’s On: Auckland Theatre Company presents — Chekhov’s The Seagull, a new online version, by Eli Kent and Eleanor Bishop
Watch this special Auckland Theatre Company online production of Chekhov’s The Seagull. Watch in four free 30 minute installments.
Chekhov’s The Seagull, a new online version by Eli Kent and Eleanor Bishop, directed by Eleanor Bishop brings a landmark piece of theatre to the 21st century.
Delivered in 30 minute instalments over four weeks from Friday 8 May, this production will be rehearsed, performed and broadcast all in the online space. The actors will have just one week per episode to read the script, learn their lines and rehearse, ready to broadcast on Friday of that week.
Chekhov’s famous characters are reimagined with a Kiwi twist and congregate over Zoom. In a direct commentary of our world in lockdown, the characters are still searching for meaning in their lives while battling love, jealousy, dissatisfaction, dreams, hopes and plans – not to mention malfunctioning video calls! This drama all plays out in self-isolation and over virtual interactions with each other.
This retelling of Chekhov’s classic The Seagull is created by a brilliant artistic team and stellar cast, all from their own bubbles.
WATCH EPISODE ONE HERE
WATCH EPISODE 2 HERE
- A couple’s decades-long mission to save New Zealand’s heritage seeds and fruit trees at the Koanga Institute
- Recipe: Caralee Fontenele’s Banana Bread in a Mug
- A green-thumbed couple transformed their dry block into a perennial food forest and bountiful permaculture farm
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it
- Autoimmune disorders: These are the common diseases, symptoms and treatments to know