Recipe: Cauliflower and truffle soup
Cauliflower never had it so good. This is a fabulous starter for an evening meal or serve in espresso cups or shot glasses as an amuse-bouche.
Recipe: Tania Lawrence
¼ head of cauliflower, in florets
2 cups vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
30g grated parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
½ teaspoon truffle oil
freshly shaved truffle to garnish
Cook cauliflower florets in boiling stock with bay leaves. Remove cauliflower, discard bay leaves and retain 1 cup of stock. Purée cauliflower in food processor or blender
Melt butter in a saucepan and add flour to make a roux. Cook while stirring until the colour deepens slightly then slowly stir in stock to make a velouté.
Stir in cauliflower purée then pass through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Mix in cream to the preferred consistency. Add grated parmesan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat gently before serving. Pour into teacups, espresso cups or shot glasses. Drizzle truffle oil on top and garnish with shaved truffle.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Taranaki’s host with the most: Nice Hotel owner Terry Parkes transforms an historic home into a maximalist masterpiece
- Odd reasons your chicken might be lame
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it
- How to recognise and treat respiratory problems in chickens
- 5 tips to drying firewood