Recipe: honey rice crisps
Use a mild-flavoured honey, such as blue borage, in this toasted sesame version of the classic treat.
Words: Anna Tait-Jamieson
Image: Stephen Laplant
¼ cup sesame seeds
5 cups puffed rice (rice bubbles)
2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup sugar
1. Gently toast sesame seeds in a heavy-based pan until they start to darken. Combine with rice in a large mixing bowl.
2. Heat butter, honey and sugar for a few minutes, stirring until well combined and golden brown. Pour hot syrup onto puffed rice/seeds and mix together. Press firmly with dampened fingers into a buttered tray. Cut into squares before it sets.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Lee-Anne and Todd Jago talk about finding their tūrangawaewae and launching Maori tourism business Waka Abel Tasman
- 5 easy-to-grow summer flowers for homemade bouquets
- A guide to gravity-fed water systems
- 5 amazing food forest gardens
- Meet the Barrett whanau the guardians of bird-lover’s paradise Kapiti island and Kapiti Island Nature Tours lodge