Recipe: Ruth Pretty’s pommes purées
Recipe: Ruth Pretty Photos: Murray Lloyd
Reserve this decadent potato mash for special occasions.
Prick the skins of 1kg (4-6) large, floury potatoes in their skins and bake in a 190°C oven for 50-60 minutes or until very soft. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool, then remove the flesh and press it through a potato ricer or a coarse sieve (if using a sieve, use the back of a large ladle to push the potato through) into a large pot. Cover and keep warm.
Melt 180g butter in a pot and keep warm. Heat 180ml milk in another pot until it’s the same temperature as the butter
Set the potato over medium heat and add the butter slowly until the potato flesh can no longer absorb it (the amount will vary depending on
the amount of moisture in the potatoes).
Slowly add warmed milk and stir well with a spatula until the mixture looks soft and fluffy. Add ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt, a pinch of freshly ground white pepper and a pinch of nutmeg and mix to combine. Serve immediately. Serves 6-8
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- Recipe: Ruth Pretty’s Feijoa, Date and Ginger Loaf
- Two great feijoa recipes: Feijoa chutney and feijoa loaf
- How good peach tree pruning can make your tree more productive
- Award-winning Gisborne fishery East Rock looks to the future with transparent and sustainable practices