Screen Sirens podcast: Love & Friendship
Love & Friendship Directed by Whit Stillman and based on Jane Austin’s comic novella Lady Susan, stars Kate Beckinsale, Chloe Sevigny and Stephen Fry.
Set in the opulent drawing rooms of eighteenth-century English society, Love & Friendship focuses on the machinations of a beautiful widow, Lady Susan Vernon, who, while waiting for social chatter about a personal indiscretion to pass, takes up temporary residence at her in-laws’ estate.
While there, the intelligent, flirtatious, and amusingly egotistical Lady Vernon is determined to be a matchmaker for her daughter Frederica – and herself too, naturally. She enlists the assistance of her old friend Alicia, but two particularly handsome suitors complicate her orchestrations.
The Screen Sirens were in complete disagreement about this one.
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST HERE
Andrea argues that Kate Beckinsale should stick to action flicks such as Underworld (trailer below). Do you agree? Write to us at email@example.com
- How a small Waikato farm harnesses the power of Paulownia, the fastest-growing tree in the world
- A tried and tested Blackboy peach bottling recipe
- Classic baking: Yoyo recipe
- Set designer Megan Vertelle’s upcycled Piha villa is an off-screen showstopper
- New Zealand-designed raincoats receive torrents of praise