Recipe: Beetroot Salad with Horseradish Dressing
Horseradish dressing gives this herbaceous beetroot salad the x-factor. From Ruth Pretty’s make-ahead Christmas lunch menu.
Recipe: Ruth Pretty Photo: Carolyn Robertson
1.5kg medium beetroot, ends trimmed
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig sage
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
Salt and pepper to taste
12 stoned green olives
12 stoned black olives
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
12—24 basil leaves
Horseradish Dressing (recipe follows)
Place the beetroot, bay leaf, thyme, sage, vinegar, sugar and ½ teaspoon salt into a pot. Cover with water and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
When cool, peel and cut the beetroot into wedges and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pile on a serving platter and scatter with the olives (cut in half horizontally if large), tomatoes and basil leaves. Drizzle with Horseradish Dressing. Serves 8
In a bowl, place 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish sauce, ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt and ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Whisk to combine then continue whisking while slowly adding 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- Recipe: Ruth Pretty’s Feijoa, Date and Ginger Loaf
- Two great feijoa recipes: Feijoa chutney and feijoa loaf
- How good peach tree pruning can make your tree more productive
- Award-winning Gisborne fishery East Rock looks to the future with transparent and sustainable practices