Recipe: Homemade cultured salted butter
Add some local flavour to the traditionally homemade staple.
Recipe by: Hauraki Salt
1 litre cream
200g crème fraîche
1 tablespoon Hauraki Salt
Put the cream and crème fraîche in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment.
Whisk on a slow speed for the first few minutes so as not to splatter cream everywhere, then increase the speed to high and whisk for 10-15 minutes or until the butter separates from the buttermilk.
Strain the butter through a fine sieve to separate the solids from the liquid, collecting the liquid in a container underneath.
Thoroughly squeeze the solids to drain as much buttermilk out as possible. Reserve this for another baking use.
Wash the butter in a bowl of ice-cold water until no traces of buttermilk remain.
Knead in the salt until well combined, adding more to suit your taste.
Put the butter in an airtight jar or roll in cheesecloth or baking paper and keep in the fridge for up to a month. Makes 500g
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Poultry expert Sue Clarke explains how to feed your hens the correct amount of calcium and grit to lay good eggs
- 5 tips to drying firewood
- Odd reasons your chicken might be lame
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it
- Recipe: Chunky Monkey Feijoa Chutney (the best-ever feijoa chutney recipe, skins included)