Recipe: Homemade cultured salted butter
Add some local flavour to the traditionally homemade staple.
Recipe by: Hauraki Salt
1 litre cream
200g crème fraîche
1 tablespoon Hauraki Salt
Put the cream and crème fraîche in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment.
Whisk on a slow speed for the first few minutes so as not to splatter cream everywhere, then increase the speed to high and whisk for 10-15 minutes or until the butter separates from the buttermilk.
Strain the butter through a fine sieve to separate the solids from the liquid, collecting the liquid in a container underneath.
Thoroughly squeeze the solids to drain as much buttermilk out as possible. Reserve this for another baking use.
Wash the butter in a bowl of ice-cold water until no traces of buttermilk remain.
Knead in the salt until well combined, adding more to suit your taste.
Put the butter in an airtight jar or roll in cheesecloth or baking paper and keep in the fridge for up to a month. Makes 500g
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- A little house on the apiary: Beekeeper Nathan Orr’s tiny house passion stemmed from a teenage illness
- 15+ tips to creating the perfect grazing platter at your next party
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- A tried and tested Blackboy peach bottling recipe
- NZ Lifestyle Block Smart Series Part Six: Lessons from Rhys Taylor’s award-winning 10-year-old eco home