Recipe: Ruth Pretty’s Cos leaves with pear, walnuts, mozzarella and honey dressing
These cos leaves make a delicious, healthy nibble. Use the best of fresh seasonal pears to really bring out the flavour.
Recipe: Ruth Pretty Photos: Murray Lloyd
1 twin-pack baby cos lettuce
1 pear, halved, cored and cut into small dice
5-6 walnut halves, lightly toasted, chopped
125g cherry-sized mozzarella, drained and each ball sliced into 2 or 3 pieces (I use Clevedon Buffalo Cherry Mozzarella)
1 spring onion, white and some green finely chopped
Remove outer leaves from cos lettuce and retain to use at a later time. Remove 16 small leaves and gently wash in cold water. Lay out onto paper towels to dry.
Combine the pear and walnuts and add just enough honey dressing (see recipe below) to coat.
Place 2 or 3 teaspoons of pear mixture into each cos leaf. Place mozzarella on top and lightly drizzle with remaining honey dressing.
Sprinkle with spring onions and arrange on a platter. Makes 16, serves 8
Put 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon liquid honey, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and ½ teaspoon salt in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- A little house on the apiary: Beekeeper Nathan Orr’s tiny house passion stemmed from a teenage illness
- 15+ tips to creating the perfect grazing platter at your next party
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- A tried and tested Blackboy peach bottling recipe
- NZ Lifestyle Block Smart Series Part Six: Lessons from Rhys Taylor’s award-winning 10-year-old eco home