Recipe: Topp Secret Gingernut biscuits
The Topp Twins had to beg their mum Jean to share their nana’s famous Gingernut Biscuit recipe for their new cookbook Topp Country: A Culinary Journey.
Prep time 10 minutes, Cook time 20 minutes
½ cup golden syrup
½ cup sugar
1½ cups (200g) flour,sifted 3 times
1 tsp ground ginger, sifted 3 times
½ tsp baking soda, sifted 3 times
1 Preheat oven to 150°C.
2 Beat butter, golden syrup and sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
3 Take teaspoonfuls of mixture, roll into rounds and space out on a tray. Press flat with a wet finger.
4 Bake for 20 minutes – be careful not to overcook as they burn easily
OUR MUM, JEAN
Our Mum is just the best baker and home cook in the world and whenever we go home we head straight to the biscuit tin. Mum’s gingernuts are legendary and after years of asking, she will finally share her treasured recipe, passeddown from our Nana Topp. She still bakes every week, but maybe it’s about time we learnt how to make our favourite biscuit ourselves. -Jools and Lynda Topp
The perfect Christmas gift The Topp Twins bring us tales from the countryside through the universal pleasure of food and love, as they meet 60 farmers and growers around New Zealand in this cookbook with a difference. Their deep love for the land and its people is interwoven with inspiring stories, poems and approximately 75 recipes, including family favourites.
- A little house on the apiary: Beekeeper Nathan Orr’s tiny house passion stemmed from a teenage illness
- 15+ tips to creating the perfect grazing platter at your next party
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- A tried and tested Blackboy peach bottling recipe
- NZ Lifestyle Block Smart Series Part Six: Lessons from Rhys Taylor’s award-winning 10-year-old eco home