Recipe: Vegan probiotic caramel slice
A sweet no-bake made with coconut yoghurt and raw cashews.
Recipe by Cathedral Cove Naturals
½ cup desiccated coconut
1½ cups Cathedral Cove Naturals Cherry, Cacao Paleo Cereal
¼ cup dried dates, soaked for 15 minutes in warm
water to soften
2 tablespoons raw organic coconut oil
1 cup Cathedral Cove Naturals Coconut Yoghurt
1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
½ cup dried dates, soaked for 15 minutes in warm
water to soften
Pinch Himalayan sea salt
150g good-quality vegan dark chocolate
Line a square baking tray or container with baking paper.
To make the base, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until everything is combined. The mixture should be able to come together easily. Place the base mixture into the baking tray and press down firmly. Transfer to the freezer while you make the filling.
To make the filling, combine all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Pour the filling on top of the base layer and return to the freezer to allow it to set overnight or for 4-6 hours.
Once this layer has set melt the dark chocolate and pour it over the caramel layer before returning to the freezer to set for another hour. Prior to serving place the slice in the fridge for a couple of hours to allow it to soften. Makes 12 slices
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- 12 delicious boredom-busting baking ideas
- 12 breathtaking views from high-country stations, farms and orchards around New Zealand
- How New Plymouth gardener Carl Freeman makes a living from his 1000sqm vegetable garden
- A beginner’s guide to growing microgreens: Step-by-step growing guide
- What to sow, plant and prune in the garden this April