Recipe: Apricot Or Peach Clafoutis
This flan-like dessert can be made with any firm stonefruit, such as plums, peaches or cherries.
Recipe: Julie Legg
1 cup milk
½ cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g butter, melted
½ cup plain flour
8 fresh apricots or 4 fresh peaches
2 tsp white sugar
2 tbsp slivered almonds
2 tbsp Amaretto
thickened cream or
ice cream, to serve
Preheat oven to 160°C fan bake.
Combine milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and mix to a smooth batter. Add melted butter and sifted flour, folding through until well combined. Pour into a cold cast-iron skillet.
Halve and pit apricots (or other stone fruit). Place skin down into the batter. Sprinkle apricots with sugar, slivered almonds and drizzle with Amaretto. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes.
Slice and serve plain or with dollops of thickened cream or ice cream. Serves 6-8
Clafoutis is delicious served warm or cold. Choose firm fruit as it’s easier to pit. Instead of apricots, use plums, nectarines, peaches or cherries.
This is an extract from Urban Harvest, a special edition from our annual In Your Backyard series. The latest edition, Sustainability Through The Seasons, is on sale on 30 March, 2020.
- ‘How e-scooters, macaroni cheese and a kowhai helped me save 3.4 tonnes of carbon’: Emma Rawson tackles her carbon footprint with the FutureFit calculator
- How to recognise and treat respiratory problems in chickens
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it
- Odd reasons your chicken might be lame
- Recipe: Kiri’s Lemon Tart