Recipe: Blackcurrant Ice Cream
You don’t need a fancy machine to make this berry delicious ice cream.
Recipe by Viberi
2 cups Viberi Organic Frozen Blackcurrants, thawed and well drained
1 cup sugar
zest of 1 lime or lemon
2 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
4 egg whites
1 cup cream
Put the blackcurrants in a food processor or blender and blend to a puree. Transfer to a pot and add ½ cup of the sugar and the lime or lemon zest and juice. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat the egg whites with an electric beater until the soft peak stage. Gradually add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff glossy peaks form when the whisk is lifted. With the beater on low speed, gradually add the hot blackcurrant purée and beat until cool and very thick — about 10 minutes.
In a separate bowl beat the cream to soft peaks. Fold into the egg white mixture using a large ﬂat spoon until evenly blended. Place in a freezing container, cover and freeze until ﬁrm — about 4 hours. The ice cream will keep in the freezer for several weeks.
Makes 1 litre
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- ‘How e-scooters, macaroni cheese and a kowhai helped me save 3.4 tonnes of carbon’: Emma Rawson tackles her carbon footprint with the FutureFit calculator
- How to recognise and treat respiratory problems in chickens
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it
- Odd reasons your chicken might be lame
- Recipe: Kiri’s Lemon Tart