Recipe: Michael Van de Elzen’s Buffalo Yoghurt Pannacotta with Rhubarb Compote & Praline
This silky Italian dessert is elevated with buffalo yoghurt and fresh rhubarb.
Recipe and words: Michael Van de Elzen
Prep/cooking time: 10 minutes
Setting time: 3 hours
Buffalo yoghurt elevates the pannacotta to another level of silkiness. I used rhubarb, but strawberries, raspberries, or tamarillos would work too.
40g gelatin powder
1 cup milk
½ cup caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
800ml buffalo yoghurt
1. Dissolve the gelatin in water. Warm the milk, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
2. Stir the gelatin into the warm milk, then whisk in the yoghurt. Pour the mixture into pannacotta moulds and refrigerate until set (approximately 3 hours).
3. Dip the moulds very carefully in very hot water to loosen the pannacotta. Remove pannacotta from the moulds. Top with the rhubarb compote and crushed praline, then serve.
Rhubarb & berry compote
Makes: about 2 cups
Prep/cooking time: 12 minutes
12 sticks rhubarb, peeled
2 tbsp dried cranberries
3 tbsp frozen blackberries
2 tbsp caster sugar
¼ cup water
Cut the rhubarb into large pieces. Combine with the berries, sugar, and water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
Seed & nut praline
Makes: about 1 cup
Prep/cooking time: 10 mins
2 tbsp crushed macadamia nuts
1 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the nuts and seeds on a baking paper-lined tray and roast for 10 minutes, shaking occasionally. Remove from the oven and remove the baking paper, leaving the nut-seed mix on the tray.
2. Cook the sugar and water over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Watch the mix closely and swirl the pot if you notice any sugar clumps forming. Keep swirling until the caramel is even and golden.
3. Pour the caramel over the nuts and seeds on the tray. Allow to cool and harden, then smash the praline into small, rough chunks.