Francesca’s Italian Kitchen recipe: Panzanella with nectarine
This is a non-traditional panzanella (bread salad) with the addition of nectarine. Central Otago is famous for its stone fruit and the nectarines are perfectly ripe at the same time as tomatoes, the combination of which creates a nice acidity and sweetness.
Recipe: Francesca Voza, James Stapley of Francesca’s Italian Kitchen
100g stale ciabatta
600g mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
handful baby capers
½ red onion, very finely sliced
3 nectarines, de-stoned and sliced
16 pickled white anchovy fillets
50ml red wine vinegar
100ml extra virgin olive oil
½ cup fresh parsley leaves
½ cup fresh purple basil leaves
1 garlic clove, microplaned
handful baby sorrel leaves
Serves 6 as a side
Cut the ciabatta into 1cm cubes. Put into a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients and thoroughly toss, making sure everything is evenly mixed. Leave to sit for 10 minutes. Mix again, then season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipes extracted from Francesca’s Italian Kitchen cookbook by Francesca Voza, James Stapley, published by Penguin, RRP $50.00.
- Lee-Anne and Todd Jago talk about finding their tūrangawaewae and launching Maori tourism business Waka Abel Tasman
- 5 easy-to-grow summer flowers for homemade bouquets
- A guide to gravity-fed water systems
- 5 amazing food forest gardens
- Meet the Barrett whanau the guardians of bird-lover’s paradise Kapiti island and Kapiti Island Nature Tours lodge