Francesca’s Italian Kitchen recipe: Panzanella with nectarine
This is a non-traditional panzanella (bread salad) with the addition of nectarine. Central Otago is famous for its stone fruit and the nectarines are perfectly ripe at the same time as tomatoes, the combination of which creates a nice acidity and sweetness.
Recipe: Francesca Voza, James Stapley of Francesca’s Italian Kitchen
100g stale ciabatta
600g mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
handful baby capers
½ red onion, very finely sliced
3 nectarines, de-stoned and sliced
16 pickled white anchovy fillets
50ml red wine vinegar
100ml extra virgin olive oil
½ cup fresh parsley leaves
½ cup fresh purple basil leaves
1 garlic clove, microplaned
handful baby sorrel leaves
Serves 6 as a side
Cut the ciabatta into 1cm cubes. Put into a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients and thoroughly toss, making sure everything is evenly mixed. Leave to sit for 10 minutes. Mix again, then season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipes extracted from Francesca’s Italian Kitchen cookbook by Francesca Voza, James Stapley, published by Penguin, RRP $50.00.
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- Recipe: Ruth Pretty’s Feijoa, Date and Ginger Loaf
- Two great feijoa recipes: Feijoa chutney and feijoa loaf
- How good peach tree pruning can make your tree more productive
- Award-winning Gisborne fishery East Rock looks to the future with transparent and sustainable practices