Recipe: Nadia Lim’s Avocado Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream
This beautiful mint-green ice cream is a real decadent treat. You’ll be amazed at how smooth, creamy and rich it is, yet it has a lovely freshness to it from the fresh mint and avocado (which is very subtle in taste).
Recipe: Nadia Lim Photo: Vanessa and Michael Lewis
Recipe republished from Vegful by Nadia Lim
Prep time: 15 minutes
½ cup (tightly packed) mint leaves
395g can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or seeds of 1 vanilla pod
pinch of salt
flesh of 1 large or 2 small to medium ripe avocados
1 teaspoon peppermint essence
2 cups (500ml) double cream
1 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
1. Place mint leaves in a bowl, cover with boiling water for 1 minute, then plunge into cold water (this helps to brighten and soften the mint leaves). Drain well.
2. Blend condensed milk, vanilla, salt, avocado, peppermint essence and blanched mint leaves in a blender or food processor until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, whip cream (with a hand whisk or an electric beater) to soft peaks.
4. Spoon avocado mixture into the bowl of whipped cream, add chocolate, and fold everything together with a large metal spoon until combined, taking care not to overmix in order to keep mixture as light and fluffy as possible.
5. Spoon into a large loaf tin or medium dish, cover with clingfilm touching the surface of the ice cream (this helps to avoid oxidisation and therefore discolouration) and freeze for at least 6–8 hours, or overnight, until firm.
About Vegful: I’ve created this book for vegetarians, vegans and omnivores alike. Whatever way we choose to eat, there is no doubt that eating more vegetables would do all of us good. So instead of a vegetarian cookbook, I’d more accurately describe this as a vegetable cookbook. Or, a very ‘vegful’ cookbook!
One with over 100 deliciously satisfying recipes to celebrate beautiful, colourful, bountiful vegetables arranged in seven mouthwatering chapters:
- Feasts & Sharing
- Hearty Salads & Soups
- Lunch & Dinner
- Quick, Easy & Leftovers
- Spicy & Exotic
- Small Salads & Sides
- Sweet & Baking