Recipe: Russian Okroshka soup
This cold summer soup, made with kvas, is Russia’s answer to gazpacho. Jack and Sabina suggest using lots of herbs, especially dill. “Russians put dill in everything.”
2 eggs, hard-boiled
2 medium potatoes, boiled
1 red capsicum
200g roast beef, finely sliced
bunch of dill, finely chopped
other soft herbs to taste (e.g. coriander, parsley,
chervil), finely chopped
4 teaspoons horseradish
1 litre Brod Original Rye kvas, chilled
Chop eggs and all vegetables into medium dice.
Combine and divide between 4 serving bowls.
Add sliced roast beef, herbs and horseradish.
When ready to serve, pour chilled kvas over the top.
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- 5 tips to drying firewood
- Meet Christchurch sisters Margo and Rosa Flanagan who swear by a whole-food, plant-based diet in their new cookbook Two Raw Sisters
- Ōpōtiki artist Fiona Kerr Gedson transforms feathers into Nepal-inspired mandalas
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it