Recipe: Spicy Korean-Style Meatballs
These tasty meatballs will be a hit at your next barbecue.
Recipe: Ruth Pretty Styling and Photos: Carolyn Robertson
For the meatballs
450g beef mince
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
3 spring onions, white part and some green, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 tablespoon root ginger, grated
1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean chilli paste available at Asian speciality stores)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
zest of ½ orange, finely grated
1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
Canola oil for barbecuing
Meatball Glaze (see recipe below)
For the garnish
1 tablespoon spring onions, chopped
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Put all the meatball ingredients into a large bowl and mix, using your hands. Divide into 24 balls and place onto a tray lined with plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerate for up to two days.
When you’re ready to cook, brush the meatballs with oil and cook on a medium-hot barbecue until brown on all sides and medium rare to medium inside.
Remove from barbecue onto a tray and drizzle to coat with Meatball Glaze. Mix garnish ingredients and sprinkle over meatballs before serving. Serve hot with wooden skewers. Serves 8
Put 1/3 cup apricot jam, 2 tablespoons gochujang, 1 teaspoon cornflour mixed with 3 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons Tamari soy sauce in a small pot set over medium heat. Stir until the jam is dissolved and the glaze is sticky.
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- How Papamoa couple Gabrielle and Andrew Walton’s long-term vision to grow their home tree by tree was made into reality
- 10 things you need to know about growing pears
- A little house on the apiary: Beekeeper Nathan Orr’s tiny house passion stemmed from a teenage illness
- Set designer Megan Vertelle’s upcycled Piha villa is an off-screen showstopper