Recipe: Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes
This pancake recipe is designed especially for campside cooking. The dry ingredients can be combined ahead of time, for easy preparation while on holiday.
Recipe: The Camping Cookbook
3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup raw wheat germ
1/2 cup milk powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 – 1/2 cups water
Fresh berries (optional)
Extra virgin olive oil
Fill half of a zip-top bag with all the dry ingredients, shake and seal well.
AT THE CAMP
1. Add 1 – 1/2 cups of water to ingredients in the zip-top bag. Seal well and gently mix dry ingredients with water by massaging contents.
2. Heat up a skillet with a tbsp of olive oil. Scoop the batter out of the bag with a spoon into the hot skillet.
3. Wait until the batter begins to gently bubble, then flip. Cook till golden brown and repeat until you run out of batter. Add more oil to the skillet as necessary to prevent pancakes from sticking.
4. Build an impressive stack and drizzle the lot with maple syrup, fresh berries or banana spread.
5. In the remote chance you have leftovers pack them up – they’re a great as a snack.
The Camping Cookbook by Sara Mutande and Andrea Lo Vetere, is published by Beatnik Publishing, RRP $25. Order online here