Recipe: Easy Orange Chutney
A great way to use up excess oranges — make sure to save the peels for orange wine liqueur.
Recipe: Jane Wrigglesworth
Makes: 2 x 500ml jars
Time: 60 minutes
Don’t throw away the peel in this recipe. You can use it to make the orange wine liqueur. You can also zest it, then freeze for later use.
3 large oranges
2½ cups malt vinegar
1½ cups brown sugar
1 cup raisins
1½ tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
1 tbsp salt
Peel oranges, remove the pith and cut into small pieces, discarding the pips. Peel apples, remove cores and roughly chop, removing pips. Chop onion.
Place oranges, apples, and onion into a large saucepan with the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer until the fruit is tender. Pour into sterilised jars and cap.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- ‘How e-scooters, macaroni cheese and a kowhai helped me save 3.4 tonnes of carbon’: Emma Rawson tackles her carbon footprint with the FutureFit calculator
- How to recognise and treat respiratory problems in chickens
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it
- Odd reasons your chicken might be lame
- Recipe: Kiri’s Lemon Tart