Recipe: Blackberry Crumble Slice
Any berry will work in this seasonally delicious slice.
Recipe: Jane Wrigglesworth
Serves: 6 people
Time: 90 minutes
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground or freshly grated nutmeg
½ cup caster sugar
175g unsalted chilled butter, cubed
zest of 1 lemon
4 tsp cornflour
⅓ cup caster sugar, extra
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup desiccated coconut
icing sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 27.5cm x 18cm (11 x 7 inch) slice tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
Place flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, caster sugar and salt in food processor and process for just a few seconds (enough to combine). Add butter, egg, and lemon zest, and process for 20 seconds – the mixture should resemble breadcrumbs.
Divide the mixture in half and press one half into the base of the slice tin using your fingers. Mix the cornflour and extra caster sugar, then add the blackberries and lemon juice – gently mix so the berries stay whole.
Spread the berry mixture over the base. Mix the coconut into the remaining dough mix, then sprinkle on top of the berries.
Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden. Dust with icing sugar when cold.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- ‘How e-scooters, macaroni cheese and a kowhai helped me save 3.4 tonnes of carbon’: Emma Rawson tackles her carbon footprint with the FutureFit calculator
- How to recognise and treat respiratory problems in chickens
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it
- Odd reasons your chicken might be lame
- Recipe: Kiri’s Lemon Tart