Recipe: Feijoa Cake with Crumble Topping
This recipe takes the cake for the simplest feijoa dessert.
Recipe by Rosemarie White
1/2 cup of milk
1/2-3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup roughly mashed feijoas
1 tsp vanilla
75g soft butter
2 cups of flour (or 1 cup each almond meal & plain flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup shredded coconut
2 tbsp brown sugar
30g cold butter
Heat oven to 180°C, fan-forced.
Blend first six ingredients briefly, leaving a few chunky pieces of feijoa. Sift remaining five ingredients into a large bowl and mix together both lots of ingredients with a large spoon. Pour into a 20cm cake tin.
Whizz crumb ingredients in a blender briefly and sprinkle on top of uncooked cake. Bake at 180°C, fan-forced, for 30 minutes. Good when warm from the oven, or it will keep for several days. Works well with a mix of cream and yoghurt.
MORE FEIJOA RECIPES
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- 5 tips to drying firewood
- A diverse lifestyle block: This Rotorua couple's property is home to horses, alpacas and mountain-bike trails
- What is a honeyberry? Meet the Nelson couple trialling the odd-looking, nutritious fruit for New Zealand conditions
- A guide to New Zealand's backyard birds