Recipe: Ruth Pretty’s Iceberg Salad with Cucumber, Beans, Mint and Buttermilk Dressing
Stay cool as a cucumber by pairing this simple salad with any main dish.
Words and Recipes: Ruth Pretty Styling and Photos: Carolyn Robertson
100g stringless green beans, topped and tailed
1 large iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges, core removed to loosen the leaves
¼ cucumber, peeled and sliced
20 mint leaves, sliced
Buttermilk Dressing, see recipe
Cook the beans for 2 to 3 minutes, or until al dente. Refresh under cold water. Drain well and cut each bean into two or three.
Place beans, lettuce, cucumber and mint into tumblers or bowls and drizzle with Buttermilk Dressing. Serves 6
Put ⅓ cup buttermilk, 1 tablespoon honey (warmed gently to a runny consistency), ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt and 1⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl.
Stir to combine, then cover and refrigerate until required.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Taranaki’s host with the most: Nice Hotel owner Terry Parkes transforms an historic home into a maximalist masterpiece
- Odd reasons your chicken might be lame
- Signs your chickens might have gapeworm PLUS how to treat it
- How to recognise and treat respiratory problems in chickens
- Slower walking, ageing fast: Why gait speed may be an ageing indicator