Recipe: Ruth Pretty’s Iceberg Salad with Cucumber, Beans, Mint and Buttermilk Dressing
Stay cool as a cucumber by pairing this simple salad with any main dish.
Words and Recipes: Ruth Pretty Styling and Photos: Carolyn Robertson
100g stringless green beans, topped and tailed
1 large iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges, core removed to loosen the leaves
¼ cucumber, peeled and sliced
20 mint leaves, sliced
Buttermilk Dressing, see recipe
Cook the beans for 2 to 3 minutes, or until al dente. Refresh under cold water. Drain well and cut each bean into two or three.
Place beans, lettuce, cucumber and mint into tumblers or bowls and drizzle with Buttermilk Dressing. Serves 6
Put ⅓ cup buttermilk, 1 tablespoon honey (warmed gently to a runny consistency), ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt and 1⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl.
Stir to combine, then cover and refrigerate until required.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- Recipe: Ruth Pretty’s Feijoa, Date and Ginger Loaf
- Two great feijoa recipes: Feijoa chutney and feijoa loaf
- How good peach tree pruning can make your tree more productive
- Award-winning Gisborne fishery East Rock looks to the future with transparent and sustainable practices