Recipe: Spanish cream
This recipe comes from Jersey Girl Organics, winner of the Dairy Primary category of the Outstanding NZ Food Producer Awards. This is a tried and true recipe from Grandma’s cookbook. Use full fat milk, preferably Jersey.
1 pint (approx 550ml) milk
4 level teaspoons gelatine
2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
Heat milk in a saucepan. Mix gelatine with water and stir into milk. Bring to boiling point and remove from heat.
Separate eggs and beat yolks with sugar. Slowly add milk while stirring. Return mixture to saucepan and heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add salt and vanilla essence.
Beat egg whites until very stiff and fold in to cream mixture. Pour into a mould or individual ramekins and leave to set. Turn out and serve with fruit. It will have settled into a spongy layer and a jelly layer.
Love this story? Subscribe now!
READ MORE ABOUT JERSEY GIRL ORGANIC MILK HERE
- Make your own beeswax food wraps: updated recipe
- 5 tips to drying firewood
- A diverse lifestyle block: This Rotorua couple's property is home to horses, alpacas and mountain-bike trails
- What is a honeyberry? Meet the Nelson couple trialling the odd-looking, nutritious fruit for New Zealand conditions
- A guide to New Zealand's backyard birds